The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > "Stock" Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Platinum Level Sponsor

That part looks like it's begging to be 3D scanned and printed. Not much going on structurally, and as long as it's smooth enough to paint and dimensionally stable you're probably good to go.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default weather strip

The part is made using a thin metal plate cut to the design shown and the rubber pad is vulcanized to the metal . Can a 3D printer make a part using rubber ? This part has to be able to be compressed when the door closes.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweidner View Post
Finally got some pictures for you, hopefully am able to show what you are looking for. I have two from the drivers door and one from the pass. The dash is original since I have had the car so I didn't have to go through the replacement.
Many Thanks!! This helps tremendously. If that's an original dash (?), you can see how it finishes in line against the end piece (the piece that needs to be made!). My end pieces are in worse condition, but have been looking into somehow making a mold and taking a shot at creating a pair. I have yet to see a Sunbeam with these in good shape. There is a definite need for these!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

The other thing that's nagging me is how the furplex piping should end. Maybe on the originals it butted up against that end piece and covered the end. I would think that it should have some sort of end treatment so that it doesn't look ragged or expose the metal braid. I was thinking of dipping the last 1/4 or 1/8 inch in plasti-cote or rubber.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default weather strip

Photos of NOS furflex. They're not too good but you can see the ends were not finished. This is the piece that goes from the A post to the B post of the door opening. One thing many do when using after market pieces is to cut the furflex longer than needed and trim away the metal and tuck the cloth into the inside of the furflex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0212.jpg (48.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0211.jpg (46.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Good idea. I'll have to experiment with that approach on some scraps. Who did you order the NOS furplex from? MacGregor?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default furflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62SNBMR View Post
Good idea. I'll have to experiment with that approach on some scraps. Who did you order the NOS furplex from? MacGregor?
The furflex has been in my collection for longer than I can remember. I've been buying parts since the 60's. I didn't have a car to use it on but the wife took care of that a few years back. It will be used on this white car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0169.jpg (59.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 6 Days Ago
First Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62SNBMR View Post
I ordered a pair from him today. Should get in a week or so (USPS). I'll let you know how they look with pictures. His solution does not use the metal strip that is anchored to the side pillar. Instead you use adhesive to attach the rubber to the side pillar. Also sounds like some trimming and shaping is required.
How did they look when they arrived? Were they what you were looking for?