The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > "Stock" Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

David, I just remembered seeing a video of an older gent from the UK installing the covers.... Very interesting.... Maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSUTAHcZy9Q

DanR

Last edited by DanR : 08-12-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added the link
Old 08-13-2017
Fourth Gear

Thanks Dan .... Forgot about that vid .... I worked on the existing panels/brackets that were left from the back panel this afternoon and got them fairly close to what I have in photos for that rearward mount. I've put them all together with just some tension on all the mounting points, I haven't drilled any holes yet ... still need to do some adjusting... Is this about as good as I can expect with fitment? (pic,s) .... still need those photos of the 2 center section mounting area's. Thanks all!!

...... David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs 012.jpg (25.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs 015.jpg (33.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs 014.jpg (33.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs 001.jpg (27.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs 016.jpg (34.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-13-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

I think you are getting there. Looks good to me....I have a '65 SIV with covers. They have never been abused and are in good shape.... maybe I can get you some PIC's and provide some measurements.

I'll give it a try later today,

DanR
Old 08-13-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

Default Measurements for pivot Pins/Bolts

David, I just got you some measurements from my Unmolested '65 SIV ST.

Send me you E-mail and I will send you about 6-8 PIC's of measurements that should make you happy.

DanR
Old 08-14-2017
Fourth Gear

Thanks so much Dan ... email sent .... I noticed this today and have a bad feeling this is why that center section doesn't want to snug up. It looks to me that the top of it might have been sat on(?) at some point and it looks like the bend is along the gusset line? making the center length bent down .. which is where it seems to be hitting. ..... here's some pic.s ... I have nothing to compare it to ... maybe that's how it's suppose to be?

... David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdcvrs3 018.jpg (25.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg hdcvrs3 011.jpg (37.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg hdcvrs3 020.jpg (34.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-14-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

David, The wrinkle sure looks to be the culprit.

If you sent an e-mail, (tiger 2 dan at gmail dot com ) I have not received as of 7:50PM EST

DanR
Old 08-14-2017
Fourth Gear

Sorry 'bout that Dan .... must have sent it to someone else or the wrong email address. I was beat yesterday (long honey do list day) .... Just sent another!

..... David
Old 08-14-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

David, Just sent you two batches of PIC's on my '65 SIV ST (unmolested) Color code 70 Maroon Alpine.

First batch has 5 pic's in sequence 1 thru 5 of the left side (Driver USA). All measurements are taken from the "pivot" pins.

The second batch is of three also in sequence of the right hand side (Passenger USA).

Let me know if these are adequate and if you need more or better ones...

'67 SV Commodore Blue 2.8 V6/T5/Heat &Air
'67 SV BRG 2.8 V6 T5/H&A & EPS
Convert your Alpine utilizing my Special Designed Components including Straightback Headers similar to the Tiger system. Optional Electric Power Steering (EPS) available.

GOTO: http://danr.mhartman.net/

Last edited by DanR : 08-15-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spell...
Old 08-15-2017
Fourth Gear

Thanks again Dan for taking the time and trouble to do that! It gave me some reference points to go by, here's what I have .. all on center- from ball pivot to center section mounting bolt 15 1/4" both. ... center section mounting bolt to rear seat belt mounting hole/bolt pass. side 5 1/8" dr.s 5" ... center section mounting bolt to seat edge 14 3/8" pass. side 14 1/4" dr.s ... I think the 1/2 to 3/4" difference from mine to yours is what Paul Scofield mentioned he found(quote- I just did final fitment of mine and was forced to breck the welds on the gussets in the rear to get it level. That factory was incorrect on many of these, there were generally low buy 1/2" or more.First picture is before. Note it closes 3/4" low. Hinges here are adjusted to maximum reach) .. Mine are adjusted all the way down with a 1/8" shim under the hinge. There isn't much adjustment I can make as the side covers have a predetermined shape and fit .. granted I'm not working with factory mounting points except the ball pivots so I have wiggle room but moving the bottom mounting point up to where it should be would necessitate breaking welds at this point, not happening on this one! so I'll have to compromise a little. The first pic is one of those compromises where the lines in the corner are off that 1/2-3/4" from top to bottom. I dollied that wrinkle out fairly well last night and the top of the center section fits so much better now. I'm wondering where ideally it should fit .. just covering that aluminum strip(allowing for the tops fabric) or slightly on that rubber seal that runs the length? What does the face of that center section hinge bung/nutserts look like .. round and stacked with a friction washer under the hinge?(last pic.) Hard pic to get unless its off. Here's some pic.s so far. Thanks again for the help and guidance all!

...... David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs4 005.jpg (30.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs4 001.jpg (25.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs4 002.jpg (35.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs4 007.jpg (29.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg hrdcvrs4 003.jpg (55.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by SoCal'beaming : 08-15-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2017
Fourth Gear

Here's a couple more pic.s ... 1st. one is looking down on the center section, the chalk line is where the orig. SV seat back was.... 'bout a 1/2- 3/4" diff. so the seat back now is more straight up and down instead of kicked back. 2nd. is another shot of that corner area and the odd angle and 3rd. from the back ... and some of the hardware that came with this rescue.

.... David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdcvrs5 001.jpg (17.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hdcvrs5 002.jpg (37.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hdcvrs5 006.jpg (17.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hdcvrs5 004.jpg (95.1 KB, 12 views)