The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Modified Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 16 Hours Ago
Overdrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
Installed and running nicely. Sadly, the one thing I was hoping to fix was valve train tapping noise - and the tapping is now louder! Is that a characteristic of roller rockers?

I'm going to run the engine with the valve cover off and see how much oil comes out of the holes on the rockers. I've seen various comments on this board about the oil just weeping out of the stock holes, to some people saying that it sprays around. Is there a "correct" version? I know that mine basically weeped at idle before. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough oil to the rockers - though they certainly don't look like it, and if I don't have a good valve cover gasket, I definitely get oil leakage!
What did you set the lash to?
Old 12 Hours Ago
Fourth Gear

Good question. I did Alpine stock -.012 intake and .014 exhaust. But, I was just thinking as I set them if the Holbay cam requires different settings or different method. I'm pretty sure the Holbay called for the same gaps. But I don't know if it is the same procedure. The stock procedure, for example says to do 4 when 1 is fully open, etc. Doesn't the Holbay cam position the lobes at different locations, and would that impact the procedure for setting the gaps? I don't think so - since 4 cylinder, 4 stroke is the same with the same firing order. And it is still exhaust to exhaust setting. And the Holbay difference is intake to exhaust lobes, not exhaust to exhaust. But, I was thinking about it before.

Oak Park, California
Sunbeaming for 34 years and counting
1967/63 Sunbeam Alpine, Holbay plus more
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
Old 12 Hours Ago
Fourth Gear

Here is what Harland Sharp says about settings:

Follow cam manufacturer guidelines. Each application will vary. Hydraulic cams with stock rocker arms normally require 1 full turn tighter
from zero lash (no clatter). Roller rocker arms should be tightened no more than turn from zero lash.

I actually don't understand how they say to do manufacturer guidelines, and then give details for setting.

Oak Park, California
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
Old 11 Hours Ago
Fourth Gear

I just found a post saying that the stock Holbay setting is .013 intake and exhaust. All my Holbay docs are at work. So I can't check. I might try the .013 setting and see if that changes anything.

Oak Park, California
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
Old 9 Hours Ago
Fourth Gear

Grrrr. Dang forgetfulness. Can't say rookie error. In my eagerness to share the progress, I forgot that the lash has to be reset after warmed up. Much better. We'll see tomorrow morning whether or not the old tapping is also gone.

Please pardon my digression.

Oak Park, California
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
Old 7 Hours Ago
Overdrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
Grrrr. Dang forgetfulness. Can't say rookie error. In my eagerness to share the progress, I forgot that the lash has to be reset after warmed up. Much better. We'll see tomorrow morning whether or not the old tapping is also gone.

Please pardon my digression.
Yeah, my next question would be if you set them again hot.

Higher lift rate cams usually have lesser lash settings than stock cams.
I set mine to .012 intake and .014 exhaust which is .002 tighter than stock.

If you are up on keeping the lash in check, you can tighten them a bit more yet for more quiet operation but you have a bit more risk to deal with.