The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Modified Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

Well, Tom, my single-speed wiper works OK but I was assuming that a two-speed wiper would be somewhat better. Sorry to learn that I will not be gaining much with this conversion. However, if my swap-out idea works, it is a rather painless method of getting a two-speed setup in my SII. If things go well, my original motor and the two-speed wiper cable should be fine and could be reassembled to original.
Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

Default Two-Speed wiper motor retrofit.

Today I was able to remove the single-speed wiper motor, wheelboxes and cable from my SII so I could compare the single speed motor to the two-speed motor. No way can you exchange these two motors. The motor and arm mechanism mounting is different for each motor (see photo). So my idea of swapping out the cable and wheelboxes from my SII to the two-speed motor and install it in the original SII mount will not work. The only way to do it is to mount the two-speed motor to the firewall. Since my car is completely gutted to be painted, when it comes back to my shop, I will see just how difficult it might be to mount the two-speed system to my fire wall, At least there is no dash, no wires, nothing in the way. If it can be one, I will do it. If not, the old single-speed motor goes back in. At least, I will clean them up, regrease them and look over both motors to see if the brushes, and armatures, are in good condition. I will keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiper motor comparison - 1.jpg (24.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

Default Single Speed Motor Retrofit SII

The firewall in the area of the wiper motor for S-II is flat, so if you have a complete two speed motor and shaft with towers, you should be able to move the motor approximately 3" towards the driver's side to remount the two speed motor. The S-III and later two speed motors have a flat base, so it should be possible.
Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

Thanks for the encouragement, Gary. I took a look at the firewall of my SII yesterday as I was removing the wiper motor (the car is at the paint shop). I looks like I can manage the change over as you suggest. The car should be done in a few weeks and I will move it to my shop where I can get after it. I will keep you posted on my progress.