The SAOCA Forum  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Fourth Gear

Default UK V's US Radio

Hi All,

Which one of these is for the US market and which for the UK? I guess the US one won't work in England

Many thanks

Oliver

[ATTACH]Attachment 8164[/ATTACH]
moto.jpg

Last edited by Limey : 1 Week Ago at 11:22 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Remember when my mother in law moved to Canada I asked her where the portable radio was she had. She said it would be no good in Canada as it only played English stations.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Overdrive!

I would guess the one picture I see would be UK since the US AM band seems to run from 550 to about 1600 and that radio appears to lack between 550 and 1150.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

Default Radio

No, there are two bands on the Motorola, one 550 to 1150 and one 1160 to 1500 and you can switch between them so both radios will work on all the AM frequencies?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

My first car was a 1951 Packard I bought in the mid 60s. I convinced my youngest brother that the radio played only 1950s music!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

The North American radio will be the Rootes-branded version as shown with an AM band range of 550-1600. The UK-spec will have two bandwidths LW (Low Width/range) and HW (High Width/range). Since the two bandwidths differ it's doubtful either radio will pick up any stations on another continent unless there is a AM station broadcasting at the very ends of the bandwidths. BTW, I've seen this North American AM radio branded as Motorola but never seen a similar UK radio branded Rootes.

Here in the States, very few AM stations still remain and those that do broadcast at wattages much lower than they did in the 1960's. If you plan to use or even test a radio you simply must have an antenna plugged in otherwise all you'll hear is static, even if the receiver still works.

Here in Harrisburg PA we still have a local AM station broadcasting at 580hz. When I bench test a 50-year-old radio NA/UK AM radio I use an antenna with an extension and will receive only a weak signal.

Mark ..... v
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

LW MW HW are low medium high wave...

AM broadcast is still very alive and well all over the United States, with many 50,000 watt stations still going strong.

USA AM is from 540 KHz to 1705 KHz (as of 1993)
When those radios were built the top of the band was 1600 KHz

In the UK as of 1950, the broadcast band was 530KHz to 1600KHz

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Hi...ansmission.pdf
http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Radio_1966.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguys View Post
The North American radio will be the Rootes-branded version as shown with an AM band range of 550-1600. The UK-spec will have two bandwidths LW (Low Width/range) and HW (High Width/range). Since the two bandwidths differ it's doubtful either radio will pick up any stations on another continent unless there is a AM station broadcasting at the very ends of the bandwidths. BTW, I've seen this North American AM radio branded as Motorola but never seen a similar UK radio branded Rootes.

Here in the States, very few AM stations still remain and those that do broadcast at wattages much lower than they did in the 1960's. If you plan to use or even test a radio you simply must have an antenna plugged in otherwise all you'll hear is static, even if the receiver still works.

Here in Harrisburg PA we still have a local AM station broadcasting at 580hz. When I bench test a 50-year-old radio NA/UK AM radio I use an antenna with an extension and will receive only a weak signal.

Mark ..... v
Old 4 Weeks Ago
SAOCA Vice President

I agree with Jerry - there are thousands of AM stations broadcasting across the entire spectrum of the dial.

"AM broadcast is still very alive and well all over the United States, with many 50,000 watt stations still going strong.

USA AM is from 540 KHz to 1705 KHz (as of 1993)
When those radios were built the top of the band was 1600 KHz

In the UK as of 1950, the broadcast band was 530KHz to 1600KHz"

Paul
Old 1 Week Ago
Fourth Gear

[quote=volvoguys;177367]The North American radio will be the Rootes-branded version as shown with an AM band range of 550-1600. The UK-spec will have two bandwidths LW (Low Width/range) and HW (High Width/range). Since the two bandwidths differ it's doubtful either radio will pick up any stations on another continent unless there is a AM station broadcasting at the very ends of the bandwidths. BTW, I've seen this North American AM radio branded as Motorola but never seen a similar UK radio branded Rootes.

Thanks VolvoGuys, Ive got one of each and I'm in the UK so I guess the Rootes one will be on EBAY USA soon.

Cheers

Oliver

Last edited by Limey : 4 Days Ago at 06:42 AM.