The SAOCA Forum  
Old 6 Days Ago
First Gear

Default V6 Coolant Connections

For mid '80s 2.8 V6 looking for diagram or description where to connect hoses and put the thermostat. Have Ď70s timing cover & water pump and know Iíll need to modify front lower housing 84861. I assume Iíll need lower rear housing 84878 & upper housing 84862 to replace the one that came on the engine with stock manifold. Other than the radiator hoses what connections do I need and where does the thermostat mount? Also want to keep heater. Thanks!
Old 6 Days Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Default Hope this helps

JR send me an E-mail and I'll provide an answer to your questions with PIC's.

I will also attempt to answer them there too!

The lower thermostat housing I modify for sale in my components for the V6 conversions has a heater option.

But first what have you done thus far to the radiator? Any mods yet?

What I recommend is the "keep" the upper left hose connection but angle slightly toward the water neck on the intake manifold. Block of the lower right "stock" hose connection and have a 90 degree elbow added to the very bottom pointing directly straight back towards the opposite side (Modified thermostat housing). Then purchase a Gates hose 22080 for connecting (very simple and troublesome). PIC's available.

'67 SV Commodore Blue 2.8 V6/T5/Heat &Air
'67 SV The Green1 2.8 V6/T5/Heat & Air/Power Steering
'65 SIV GT BigRed 4.0 V6 BW35 (A4LD Automatic) Heat&Air/Power Steering

All have my designed V6 Components & Straightback Headers Plus the Green1 & BigRed have my Electrical Power Steering (EPS).

'65 SIV ST OD Colour Code 70 Maroon
'63 P1800 Volvo
Old 6 Days Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

I did this to mine also and am happy with it... easy to hook up and remove the lower hose ... top hose is a guess as it depends on the alt placement.. I kinda mapped the hose shape and went to advance auto to find one with bends that worked.
Old 3 Days Ago
First Gear

Default additional

Thanks also to Dan R for his email with photos and explaining the thermostat and routing of the bypass hose. Also I found some information on the Ranger Station site about the bypass thermostat so Iím interested in what others recommend for thermostat placement. Because my engine came from an í86 Aerostar it has the bypass type thermostat located topside at the intake manifold. Now that I have changed to the Ď70s style timing cover I can put the thermostat below at the timing cover like it was on the older engines. I assume it's still a bypass type. Which thermostat location is better? If I put it at the timing cover can I use the Aerostar topside connector with thermostat removed or should I get a new top connector? Any info will be much appreciated.
Old 3 Days Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

I use the bottom thermostat housing for my thermostat placement.

A stock water neck is all that is required topside.

'67 SV Commodore Blue 2.8 V6/T5/Heat &Air
'67 SV The Green1 2.8 V6/T5/Heat & Air/Power Steering
'65 SIV GT BigRed 4.0 V6 BW35 (A4LD Automatic) Heat&Air/Power Steering

All have my designed V6 Components & Straightback Headers Plus the Green1 & BigRed have my Electrical Power Steering (EPS).

'65 SIV ST OD Colour Code 70 Maroon
'63 P1800 Volvo