The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Non Alpine Related Topics > Rootes Vehicles
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 4 Weeks Ago
First Gear

Default Wagon tool kit and jack

Fixing the license plate bulbs last night and found the jack and tool kit in the tailgate. Tool kit was a little rusty and the bag was weather worn (what do you want for 50 yr old material)since it's cloth wonder if it was a hillman item. No open end wrenches just the spark plug wrench, 2 valve stem removers, feeler gage, hub cap remover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (33.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.jpg (49.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1783.jpg (46.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Yes, that's the correct tool kit and cloth bag for the Hillman, far less comprehensive that what was offered with the Tiger/Alpines of the same period. The rarest item there is the yellow plastic tyre valve tool.

By the way, the car appears to be finished in Sage Green with most likely a Moonstone or Alpine White turret, a popular combo on the Minx/Super Minx/Gazelle/Vogue etc models.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
First Gear

Default Tool bag

Thanks Lance- Things get a little rusty in the bag since it sat in the bottom of the tailgate. Is there a different place they might have put the bag? Also got the rubber for the windscreen & RH vent from Frank the other day, looks good. Will see if I can get that in this winter. Will have to see if I can find an owners manual for the estate wagon.- Al
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Al,

The tool bag didn't have a specific location in the lower gate, it must have been originally tucked in somewhere so it wouldn't rattle around.

So Frank only had one vent window seal? That's frustrating, did he say he was going to produce more? He has warned purchasers in the past that once stock is finished it won't be re made and then look.....months later there's more to be had. Double check also that the moulding is correct at the base where it bears against the door top. Many of his items are almost but not quite right, but most folks are grateful just to get a replacement for their crusty original. Same goes for the screen seal.

You should be able to pick up an owners manual on ebay UK, they're not wagon specific, just suitable for the MK IV.

Last edited by moonstone SIV : 4 Weeks Ago at 08:53 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Overdrive!

Al can we have a photo of the radio console?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
First Gear

Default Radio & under dash Batting?

Had to take this at night with the aid of a flashlight. The radio is not a sunbeam as you can see. Also there is a gray cloth with white batting under the dash. Thought someone stuffed a T shirt up there. It's the same fabric as the tool bag. I am surprised the mice haven't setup a hotel there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1787.jpg (45.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1789.jpg (42.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (53.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Overdrive!

Al, thanks for the photo. I saw the edge of the ashtray draw under the console in the previous shot, i suspected it might be this setup i have seen it in a few minx sedans and a vogue. I think its a stanpart item.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
First Gear

Default Batting

Any clue on the batting? I was surprised that there is not a lighter in the dash another option? There is also a burgundy coloured knob with a yellow/black stripe wire attached that is fused. Just a in and out switch any Idea? Cannot find it in the wiring diagram.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Overdrive!

Al,

Lighters, clocks, ammeters, radios were options.

Im wondering if your mystery switch may be for aftermarket fog lamps or reverse lamp ( perhaps they didnt know there is a mount for reverse switch on the remote shifter) ?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Al,

The "batting" or sound deadener seems to have been fitted in place of the hemp and jute version of the earlier cars. I have seen it here in MK III AU assembled Vogues so it may have been sourced from the UK and included in the CKD kits.

Tiger/Alpine owners will have seen the latter variety under their dash, we can only assume that the pillow like batting was either cheaper or more effective at dampening the noise intrusion from Rootes finest four cylinder.... At least it makes less mess as it ages being sewn into the bag.