The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > "Stock" Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 3 Weeks Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Default Tech Question

It seems as if most Alpines leak oil/grease from the steering boxes and as a solution to add or fill with a heavy grease (lithium ?).

It seems also that a better way would be to "fix" the culprit ("O-ring") .

The "o-rings" are available from many of the parts suppliers we commonly all upon, as I did and received several in order to repair a couple of my steering boxes.

A question or two, How do you go about removing and replacing the O-ring?

Can't find any "wording" to help?

Thanks for any solutions,

DanR

Last edited by DanR : 2 Days Ago at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Hi Dan,

I did this job in the beginning of this year at the Alpine of my brothers. What I did was the following: remove the complete steering box from the car. Then take of the top cover of the steering box followed by taking out the rocker shaft.
Now you have access to the rubber O-ring which you take out with a little screw driver (it won't take more than something less than a minute). Replace the O-ring for a new ring while you use a good smear of blue silicone. Install again the rocker shaft followed by the top cover.
What is following after this I learned from Tim Raymond an Englishman who is posting on this forum too. Place two more O-rings on the outside of the steering box right under the nut which fastens the pitman-arm. This two extra O-rings should be smeared with a good dab of blue silicone. At last a washer is placed on top of the two extra O-rings and finally the nut which fastens the pitman-arm is placed. This job took no more than half an hour.
Afterwards I filled the steering box not with EP90 but with EP 140 classic diff oil. Up til now the steering box is bone dry!

Regards,

Peter
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

The lithium grease is still a good way to go and much easier to do!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Default Alpine Steering Box Repairs

Thanks Peter for that good explanation.

And to you too George for reminding me of the "lithium grease" being a good way to go!

What I'm after is trying to rebuild the steering box with the necessary bushings and replacement of the "O-ring (s)" should they be really bad.

There are no "new" steering boxes available that I know of, so a re-build is the next best thing IMHO.

I keep reading the WSM and have these nagging questions that are not coming clear maybe my mind just can't comprehend
To renew (Burman units only)

As one example:
page 16 ROOTES MANUAL WSM - 145 Section J (Steering) ROCKER SHAFT BUSH (Figs. 3 and 4) 2. Remove the washer and ring seal from the outer end of the rocker shaft housing by relieving the "peening" with a suitable scraper.

This "peening" and scraping is a real puzzle after reading "other" writing in the WSM.

Why would that be if you can remove the Rocker Shaft (item 13 Fig 3) as described in para 1 thru 4 page 15 "To dismantle and reassemble?

Is the "peening" to hold the washer (item with no number) under the Ring Seal (item 18) in Fig 3 page 12 ? ( The washer is numbered and identified in Fig 4 as item 26).

A question! Is it as simple as removing/detaching the swing arm (item 19 Fig 3) and proceeding on with Paragraphs 1 thru 4 To dismantle and reassemble on page 15 ?

If you (Peter) removed the rocker shaft from the top of the gear box as described above, without removing the inner shaft that would be very nice indeed....

I have seen very little to none discussed about the steering repairs. Even in the SAOC - ALPINE GUIDE I purchased years ago from our brethren in the UK, has little to say. It is a very worthwhile publication however which I frequently refer to for answers not provided elsewhere

Many thanks Guys for any help in this matter !

'67 SV Commodore Blue 2.8 V6/T5/Heat &Air
'67 SV BRG 2.8 V6 T5/H&A & EPS
Convert your Alpine utilizing my Special Designed Components including Straightback Headers similar to the Tiger system. Optional Electric Power Steering (EPS) available.

GOTO: http://danr.mhartman.net/
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Third Gear

Hi Dan,

Just like you I had great difficulties in trying to understand the "explanation" of handlings as described in the WSM, so I decided to go for it and use my logical thinking. It is just as I described: when you have taken off the top cover than it is just a matter of pushing the rockershaft upwards and then the shaft is out of the box. Forget all what is written about "peening" and what ever more the WSM is "explaning". It just took me a little bit less than half an hour to change the rubber O-ring in the box. I have seen your wonderful acomplishments in this forum when it regards installing V6 Ford engines in Alpines and I admire your skills, I could never have done it so when I am able to change this d..ned litte O-ring than I am sure you are able to better the time I needed!

Regards,

Peter
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Thanks Peter for that good explanation.

And to you too George for reminding me of the "lithium grease" being a good way to go!

The definition of "GREASE" is a mixture of a fluid lubricant ( oil ) and a thickener dispersed in the oil. Greases do not readily flow so they are used where extended lubrication is required and where oil would not be retained. Does this sound like it could be used in an Alpine steering box ? Maybe that's the reason why so many of us use a grease instead of an oil.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Platinum Level Sponsor

The fun part of the WSM is trying to determine (after translating the explanation) is whether or not the explanation is
a) correct, but for a different Series
b) correct but for a prewar Rootes product
c) probably came from a loose page of an MG manual that the night watchman dragged in ten years ago.

Oh yeah, remember there is always the distinct possibly it is letter perfect correct!

Bill

Just because I'm perfect does not mean everything I do is perfect.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Bill - So true! I've learned to take the WSM as a suggestion and not gospel. Best to consult all sources, including the forum, before getting in too deep.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Some things you have to recognize as bad engineering design in the car.

As an EE I see the electrical system as a mess and have endeavored to eliminate all of the original electrical stuff.

As for a single O ring being used as an oils seal around a rotating shaft? That's a weak design and even with a new and shiny O ring in there it will start to leak 90W SAE again pretty quickly.

Many here have wisely suggested the grease as a suitable substitute, and that seems to work well for most. (Including myself)

A proper design here would have never used an O-ring, but instead used something alng the lines of a shaft seal. See below link for more info:

http://www.allsealsinc.com/oil_seals.html

All of that said,

Question: Why did the British never make Television sets?
Answer: They could never figure out a way to make them leak oil.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default question

British car oil leaks were a standard option for automatic checking of the oil. When it stopped leaking you were either low or out of oil.