The SAOCA Forum  
Old 10-08-2017
Membership Director

Default Volunteers Needed - New Site

As we're making final preparations on the new site, we need people to log into it and try to break it.... I mean, test it out to see what works and what doesn't.

Anything you post there won't be reflected here (and it will disappear once the new site has gone live). Anything you post here won't be reflected there.

Especially savvy folks can create a new user account to test that and how it works.

Anyone who's interested, please send me a private message, and I will reply with the details.

1965 Series V "Miss Moneypenny"
1965 Series IV Darksider "Hooligan"

Last edited by Greggers : 10-08-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2017
SAOCA President

I'd love to get feedback so we can have it debugged if necessary. A lot of work and research went into this and I hope you'll all see more value in being a member of SAOCA.
Old 10-09-2017
Diamond Level Sponsor

Seeing I'm pretty much computer illiterate, I could use a hammer!
Old 10-09-2017
Diamond Level Sponsor

Greg & Nick,

Not that what I would consider myself computer savvy, but tell me what you need and I'll do it. You just need me to create a new account like I'm a newbie and we can communicate thru it?

Mark ..... volvoguys

Last edited by volvoguys : 10-09-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2017
Platinum Level Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggers View Post
As we're making final preparations on the new site, we need people to log into it and try to break it.... I mean, test it out to see what works and what doesn't.

Anything you post there won't be reflected here (and it will disappear once the new site has gone live). Anything you post here won't be reflected there.

Especially savvy folks can create a new user account to test that and how it works.

Anyone who's interested, please send me a private message, and I will reply with the details.

Greg,

PM Sent.
Old 10-10-2017
Platinum Level Sponsor

I have been poking around the new website and for the most part, all seems good. I set up a new account and the process went smoothly. It seems to me that the two main complaints on the current site are around posting photos and searching, so I tried both of those. I only posted one picture and that went well and seems like a huge improvement over the current method(s). Well done.

I do think we need to do a little more relative to searching, at least if we are going to avoid having to go to Google to do it. It looks like the site requires at least 4 letters in a search term. So, for example, searching for "V6 intake" tells me "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: v6". I also tried "steering wheel hub" and got the same comment re: "hub". That feels like a major shortcoming to me, especially the inability to add "v6" to searches.

One thought re: this: if the 4 letter limit is hard coded into the new forum software, perhaps we could add Google search into the site. https://support.google.com/customsea.../2630969?hl=en

And, finally, staying with searching, it seems to me like every common search I run comes back with 9 or 10 pages of results. "V6 intake": 10 pages. "steering wheel": 9 pages. "steering": 9 pages. "wheel": 9 pages. "Alpine": 10 pages.

Hmm. Just tried "alpine" again and got 9 pages this time. 178 results. I tried the same search using Google and the new URL and 9,380 hits.

Good work guys! I am sure we can work through the search limitations and looking forward to continuing the great legacy of this club and the forum when the site goes live.
1965 SIV BW35, a future V6 conversion
1963 S3, future TBD
Old 10-10-2017
Platinum Level Sponsor

Continuing with Jim's search thoughts...

I tried searching "Alpine v6" <--- with the quotes, and it did turn up V6 listings, even though it continued to warn me on the V6 length.

I tried adding: -StraightBack -Jose to exclude certain posts (no offense, guys!) and it still gave me listings with StraightBack and Jose included, so 'boolean' search constraints seem to be disregarded.

I think a clear path to "search within these results" would be beneficial. Clicking on the initial search term allows you to refine it, but I usually prefer the "search within results" approach.
Old 10-10-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

Mark, The idea is log on as yourself or pretend. Mainly try to do about anything you would like.

DanR
Old 10-10-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

Ken (& all), I get frustrated with the search at times because there are many times a 2 letter word we use in the post does not show in the search.

Being a bit pickie, the "v6" should be included or atleast allowed some way!

How ?

DanR
Old 10-10-2017
Platinum Level Sponsor

Google is your friend for two-letter searches. I think it's adjustable in our forum software, but I also think there are performance penalties for doing so. It might be to protect from zombie DDOS attacks bringing the site to its knees with repeated searches for "to" and "the" for example. Now what would be gained by that I do not know...

We could probably do a 'search with Google' pull-down right beneath the normal search menu item. I see that on many sites, and it helps. I think all it does is pre-load the search with the preamble "site:sunbeamalpine.org" and then pastes in the search terms.
On return, it probably funnels the results into a page on our site, and perhaps handles the ads. But if we use it, I'm not sure if we need to allow their ads. Slippery slope.