The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > "Stock" Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017
Third Gear

Default S-II Alpine with S-3 Front Stabilizer Bar

I have a stock Series II Alpine and I want to use a Series 3 3/4" front stabilizer bar instead of the stock 5/8" bar from the S-II.

Besides stiffer ride with the larger size bar, are there any other reasons to use the larger bar for normal driving? Disadvantages?

Please let me know your experience.
Old 04-20-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Gary,

What makes you think that a larger front anti-roll bar will result in a stiffer ride?

A front anti-roll bar only affects differential mode front suspension travel; i.e., when the chassis rolls during cornering or when one (not both) front wheel encounters a bump. If both front wheels move up / down together (common mode), a front anti-roll bar simply goes along for the ride.

Other things being equal, a larger front anti-roll bar will increase front roll stiffness and reduce chassis roll during cornering. Considering the lack of roll stiffness and the lack of (or bassackwards) negative camber gain in the Alpine front suspension, less chassis roll is very good news. OTBE, increasing the front anti-roll bar size and front roll stiffness will also increase understeer. Whether increased understeer is good or bad news is your call.

Wally Swift used to autocross an Alpine with an extra front anti-roll bar attached with radiator hose clamps. The set-up sounds absurd, but it apparently worked extremely well. I think Eric Gibeault (65sunbeam) acquired the car after Wally died.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited by Barry : 04-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2017
Third Gear

Gary,

I haven't looked into it extensively, but it appears that people selling aftermarket sway bars apparently believe that one size fits all series. Absolutely not true. A bar that fits a IV/V (which is most likely what you would receive if you ordered one) will not fit a I/II/3. See my recent post on the subject.

Mike
Old 04-20-2017
Third Gear

Default S-II With S-3 Stabilizer Bar

Thank you Mike and Barry for your input and experience.

It seems it would be a judgment call depending on whether or not you want under steer.

Since I have both bars, I may test drive with both to see for myself what I prefer.

Car is a long way from completion, but it always helps to be prepared.

Thanks