The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Non Alpine Related Topics > General Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017
First Gear

Default Rootes USA and Canada sales numbers

Would anyone have data on number of vehicles sold/distributed by Rootes Inc. from 1950 to 1970 (approx.)?

Actually what I really need are the numbers for Canada but Rootes Motors (Canada) Ltd. was essentially a subsidiary of Rootes Inc. (of Long Island, N.Y.) so the Canadian numbers may be lumped in with the USA numbers.

I have tried all the likely sources -- industry magazine archives (Automotive News, Wards,etc), Polk, the Rootes Archives Trust in the UK, museums, Chrysler, Peugeot, etc. etc., all with zero success.

I need the numbers to complete an article "A History of Rootes Canada" for a Canadian paper "Old Autos".

I was with Rootes Canada from 1962 t0 1969, mostly as the Service Technical Instructor, and with Rootes in Coventry prior to that, firstly as a Humber Ltd. apprentice.

Don't own a Rootes product now but in my past have had two Minxes, one Series V Alpine, the only Singer Vogue imported by Rootes into Canada, and the third Imp off the line at Linwood -- serial xxxx003 -- RHD, licenced WHS 165 in Scotland, then shipped to Canada for long-term evaluation, following which I bought it -- kept it for 12 years using it year-round everyday -- including a round trip Toronto/Sebring for the 1966 12-Hours, then raced it and ice-raced it. Loved that car.

Thanks -- Peter S. Badenoch
Old 08-07-2017
Third Gear

Possibly Alan Miles on this forum might be able to help. His father worked for Rootes Motors in Canada. Search for Lord Rootes on this forum.
Old 08-18-2017
Third Gear

G'day Peter,

Greetings from Australia.

Can't help you with sales figures I'm afraid but I can report there's one less on the ground after the Rapier below arrived from Mississauga in late 2016.

Sold new in 1960 by Temple and Faux in Orillia, I too contacted Alan Miles (a fellow Rapier DHC owner) and we drew a blank on further info. re a list of dealers etc.

There is a guy on the Rootes Group facebook page with a Mk I or II Vogue in a shade of burgundy, it may be your old car.

Good luck with your research, it's a pity that in so many cases like this we've arrived on the scene a little too late to save the info from ending up in the bin.

Cheers, Lance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02555 (Large).jpg (60.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-19-2017
Overdrive!

From the Young/Hood book Chrysler UK, a Corporation in Transition, I came across Rootes sales figures to the U.S. only: 1963-7,000; 1964-13,000. Source is a 1973 book, The Strategy and Structure of British Enterprise, by D.F. Chandler, p. 109.

If you have some combined US/Canada sales figures for these years, perhaps you can extrapolate to other years with modest accuracy.

Just wondering: did the late Wally Swift leave behind any Rootes-related business files? I'm told Wally was in charge of closing down Rootes' dealerships when Chrysler took control.

Last edited by RootesRooter : 08-19-2017 at 01:59 PM.