The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Non Alpine Related Topics > Sunbeam Tiger
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017
Third Gear

Default Speedometer cable end not square with gearbox

Hi all,

today I took of the speedometer cable of my Tiger in order to check why the needle of the speedometer is waving terrible. I used a drill device and after connecting that to the inner speedo cable I noticed that the waving was nearly gone away. So one should think the speedo itself must be okay.
After that I tried to fasten the cable on the gearbox again and found out that when I fasten the bold which holds the clamp that the cable itself was pulled to one side and that the end of the cable was slanted and not square with the gearbox. What ever I treid I did not get it right the cable stayed inclined when I fastened the last turn of the bolt.
So what am I doing wrong???
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Regards,

Peter
Old 04-19-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Just a note the cable may need a little lube, but do not use any type of oil. Use a graphite lube. The cable should work at just about any angle as long as its not past a 180 curve. You may need to just replace the whole cable if this is the org. one?
Old 04-19-2017
Third Gear

Hi George,

Thanks for your reaction! In the meantime I have found out how to fasten the cable in a way that the end of the cable (where it goes in the gearbox) is square with the gearbox and.....it must have been installed wrongly nearly 22 years ago when I bought this Tiger in the UK. I will not mention his name, because he is well known in Sunbeam land. The reason why I know that it must have been installed wrongly is that since this morning I have for the first time in 20 years a needle that is not waving!
The cable is not the original one, my Tiger is original sold in Texas and in the early nineties the car went back to the UK where it has been restored and converted to RHD. I bought this car in october 1995 and arranged that the Tiger was converted back to LHD again before I took it home to the Netherlands. During this restoration the speedo cable is replaced for a new one. Thanks for you advice concerning the graphite lube I will follow this advice.

Best regards,

Peter