The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Modified Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

"The car runs on the open road very nicely but still will not idle under 1250 RPM."

You know, I had that same idle issue with my Holley 4bbl.
IIRC, it had to do with the slow idle setting and I had to talk to folks (Jose, my garage owner friend, and another mechanic that had worked on the final stages of the engine swap) before I figured it out myself. The resolution was in the manner the slow idle was to be adjusted.
I will try to remember and if not will look into my voluminous V6 files.

Right now I am off to pick some peaches off our trees. YUUUMMM!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Sounds like something 260 was saying for me to do....I've still some of those suggestions yet to do.

DanR
Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

Dan,
Did you receive my reply to your PM?
When I tried to send it, I received a message that my PM storage was full.
That may have caused my message to be lost.
Since then I have cleaned out most of the stored messages.

Bottom line = I did not follow Jose's cam recommendations. We went with a well known local hot rod shop for the rebuild of the V6 block we had. The owner and I had to talk my son (who was paying for the engine work) out of a full race cam - thank god we did as the thing is a handful as is.

If you get out this way, let me know and we can take it for a spin; but no popping the clutch and no flooring it before we get the revs up! !

Then, if you really want a thrill, Colin can take you for a ride in his 800 HP 370Z done by http://jotechracing.com/ . He has been wanting to take the Alpine to Jotech to put it on their dyno, but he has not offered to pay for that.

Last edited by crs : 1 Week Ago at 07:21 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

Default Offy Intake bolt problem

Dan: There is a reason for the different length bolts. If my recollection is correct, The four longer bolts are installed two in the front and two in the rear of the manifold connecting it to the heads. Try fitting the manifold with gaskets in place....if that doesn't eliminate the contact between the manifold and the block the old hot rodder trick would be to judiciously grind away some of the aluminum at the contact points. The manifold is beefy enough that a little trim here or there won't affect the operation of it. That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 1 Week Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Jim, The Kit is supposed to have three 8-1.25 100mm and one 90mm because of the "raised" area in the lifter valley. The PIC's in Pruitt's book and the PIC's I took of the three different blocks I have all show that "one" threaded riser located between the no 2 & 3 cylinder (passengers side USA) being about 10mm taller than the other three.

Ofy Parts sent me a mixed bag of bolts. I now have what it takes.

Fitted with gaskets in place the bolt situation is the same. 3 long and 1 shorter does the trick.

I did grind a bit from the lip of the Ofy bottom piece where it touched the timing cover. All is well.

I paid about $28.00 for the bottom bolt kit 6097 BBK which consisted of 4 8 mm bolts. Found them at Fastenall for 1.00 ea. Any one needing them I have a bag full $1.00 each

DanR
Old 1 Week Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

crs, I did get your pm....

I bet you guys had a time talking your son out of the race cam

When I come thru I'll give you a call.

The Delta Rep I spoke with said I had a full race cam so I can attest to the fact it is a hot one.

If I intended to race it would be excellent, but for a frequent driver one a bit milder would really make me happy. The next engines, two of which I am now building will have a more milder street version.

DanR

P.S. I think I'll pass on the 800HP
Old 6 Days Ago
Second Gear

Recently bought a used Offy with an unopened accessory pkg and it did not contain enough 8.25X100 bolts to hold down the manifold. No problem, the local Tru-Value carries shapes and sizes of fasteners to put Home Depot and Lowes to shame. Bought 4 more and shortened the length of 2 for the corners and grind a scintilla from the circumference of the hex heads for the 4 interior hold-down bolts. The bolts hold the intake manifold in place securely.

Mike
Old 5 Days Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Hi, Mike_also, KNOWING WHAT BOLTS TO USE IS IDEAL........

Like you I eventually found them at Fastenal.

I have a whole bag full now Save about $20....Should any one need some, I have them $1.00 a piece

DanR