The SAOCA Forum  
Old 08-09-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Default Rhd

The car now has all of the side mouldings . It took several evenings to install everything. LiBrandi's did a great job of polishing the pieces. The new door handles came in from SS last week so now it's time to install the handles and locks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0169.jpg (59.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0170.jpg (58.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-15-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Default Rhd

Installed a few rear panels on a temporary basis so the upholstery shop will know where the headliner needs to be. He still has to cover the fender wells and a few other areas. Next job is to duplicate the plywood floor over the spare tire. The original is starting to delaminate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0199.jpg (53.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0200.jpg (45.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-15-2017
SAOCA Treasurer

Very interesting project

DanR
Old 08-15-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Default Rhd

Dan,
It's a lot more work than the reassembly of an Alpine. I've been handed back a few bare shell Alpines and I took the red Harrington apart and put it back together twice and the 69GT was a rolling shell when it came out of the shop but this one is tougher than any of them. Ian sold this car as an epoxy primed shell with all the parts in boxes and shipped it to California. I picked it up in Reno. The shop in Tipp city did some things that had to be redone. Ronnie fixed all that but some mounting holes got welded up and I'm having to do a lot of drilling. At least most of the wood frame in the body was useable. The side trim was time consuming. It goes back to the upholstery shop the week after the United. Jean and I installed a new headliner in the red car so she decided we weren't going to do this one. This car was late production so it doesn't have the side vents behind the rear windows so it may be easier to install the headliner.
Old 08-16-2017
Fourth Gear

Unreal! Even with the panels in place, better chance of seeing the inside of a 48 Tucker restoration than this. In vivid white no less. Just looked up the Tucker. Almost all are accounted for. How many of these even exist? Hard to believe this car was ever discontinued. The styling is...George Jetson like no one else achieved. In any era. Thanks so much for sharing this, Mr. Bob.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Fourth Gear

Sunbeam designers were to cars what The Beatles were to music, they just didn't seem to have a bad day. I'll never own one of these, but oggling this project is a great way to end a day.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default Rhd

John,
It will share the garage with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 105_0010.jpg (89.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

What;s the latest on the RD ?

Will it make it to the United XXXVI?

DanR
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gold Level Sponsor

Default Rhd

Dan,
This isn't your typical Sunbeam assembly job so it will not be at the United. Not even sure it will be ready for Columbia in March. There's a lot more to this car than a regular Alpine. Thank gosh I have a couple other Harringtons for reference for how things were put together. Jean and I sometimes fit parts two or three times to get them how we want them. The wood door for the rear floor over the spare tire took time to make it fit. The one that came with the car didn't fit so good and was really bad so I spent a week cutting and trimming a new unit. Then I had to paint it. The car is scheduled to go back to the upholstery shop for the head liner installation and some other work sometime in October. He'll cover the wheel wells, etc. I can't install the windows, windshield, drip rails, etc until the interior work is done. I've considered electric windows. My new lift was shipped from Oklahoma Thursday so I'm going to set it up before the United so there may not be much more done until the car gets back from the upholstery shop. I can work on the car in comfort any time since my shop has heat /AC. This is what the interior looks like now. The seat, carpet and panels are installed on a temporary basis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0209.jpg (33.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 65beam : 2 Weeks Ago at 12:36 AM. Reason: add
Old 2 Weeks Ago
SAOCA Treasurer

Interesting hinges on the rear seat back... Can you get a close up?

DanR