The SAOCA Forum  
Old 08-13-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default RHD LeMans

Work continues on the right hand drive Le Mans. The blocking of the body is close to being done and the fiber glass top has a new gel coat applied. this body was almost rust free except for a few pin holes that showed up in the front floor on the right hand side after the metal part of the body was dipped. this was one of Ian Spencer's cars. Note that this is a late production car since it does not have the roof vents behind the side windows and it also has steel wheels instead of wires. I have been told that this may be the only RHD version in the states.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109_0546.JPG (95.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 109_0547.JPG (84.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-15-2016
Third Gear

Could you tell me how you renewed the gel coat ?
Old 08-15-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default gel coat

They used a sprayable gel that they buy from one of the corvette restoration houses.
Old 08-15-2016
Third Gear

Bernd good to know you are moving forward on the HLM project. Of course I'm certain you are enjoying the Tiger.

Found this on ebay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MWN7kbzutM ) but it is a brush on technique which can result in brush marks. There is a follow up video for sanding.

The spray on technique takes special spraying equipment and can give you grief because of the short work time (10-12 minutes) as the gelcoat is setting up after the catalyst is added. You might want to check out a local boat shop to assist in this spray on process of the HLM's fiberglass restoration.
Old 08-16-2016
Third Gear

Yep, thanks for the hints guys. A lot of good fibre glass repair Videos on YouTube. Just back from our German National and feeling motivated to resume work on the HLM again�� .
P.S. we went there not with the Tiger but with our good old SV which didn't miss a beat on the 2000km Trip.
P.P.S. Have a look onto our Homepage...

Last edited by bernd_st : 08-16-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default RHD LeMans

I picked up the seats today. Should have the back seat and other panels in a few weeks. Deer season opens this week so the shop owner has priorities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109_0674.jpg (39.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-22-2016
Bronze Donor

I recommend the sprayable gelcoat from Eckler's Corvette.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/spray...at-gallon.html
I have used it in the past on a Harrington top, and I didn't have any application problems with spraying or gel-time. It has a short shelf life (6-months), so I buy in quarts
Jan
SAOCA member #8
http://janswerks.com/banner/jumpinjan_sig.JPG
Old 11-22-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default LeMans

Jan,
That's the company whose product they're using . It's blended in what I guess you could call two formulas now. They have one for use on the early vette bodies and this is what they recommended for the LeMans since they say there is a difference in the fiber glass being used now. This shop repairs a lot of heavy trucks as their main business so they're used to working with fiber glass and aluminum and have all the equipment needed.
Old 11-22-2016
Third Gear

Very useful Update on the gelcoat Material and nicely refurbished seats. Still looking for a good upholsterer over here...
Old 11-22-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd_st View Post
Very useful Update on the gelcoat Material and nicely refurbished seats. Still looking for a good upholsterer over here...
The owner of the shop does good work. He also made the interior of my fast back .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0255.jpg (63.6 KB, 52 views)