The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Racing Alpines
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2017
First Gear

Default Racing a Sunbeam Alpine in South Africa!

Good day, not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself, but thought it would be relevant.

My name is Mark, and I reside in South Africa, I race a SI Sunbeam Alpine with 1592cc motor The sub assembly is from a Hillman super minx.

I started racing the car in January and its been going well up until the motor developed a bearing knock on the dyno a couple weeks ago. So its back to the drawing board now.

Please feel free to check out my website www.vanrooyenracing.co.za there are a few pictures and details on there

My email address is markvanrooyen01@gmail.com should anyone wish to contact me also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpine 04-03-17.jpg (54.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Series1Racer : 09-29-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2017
Fourth Gear

Welcome Mark .. Checked your site out ... Looks like alot'a fun! ....... ("Because of the loss of power from the coast to the reef, and the tight corners (especially turn 2 ) it was decided to bridge the overdrive cancel switch out. 2nd gear was just to slow coming out of turn 2 and the rev counter needle would be on the wrong side of 6000rpm before I could even exit the corner properly. So we bridged the switch out and it worked brilliantly. I would descend from turn 1 into turn 2 in 3rd gear with O/D engaged, leave OD on and gear down to 2nd, take the corner and exit at about 5500rpm and pull it to 6200+- and then switch OD off and engage 3rd gear. This not only gave me a longer 2nd gear, but also closed that huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. The car feels so alive") ........ Very interesting solution ....

.... David
Old 09-30-2017
Overdrive!

Sounds like your OD gets quite a workout! Is it a J-type from an Arrow Range Sceptre?
Old 10-21-2017
Gold Level Sponsor

Mark,
enjoyed your post and site, great story and congratulations on your finishes!

Have fun on this club site, there are amazing people here and good resources. looking forward to updates on your racing. Good luck,
Dave
Old 10-21-2017
Platinum Level Sponsor

I believe some Rootes rally racers used full-time wired-on OD for similar reasons. They didn't usually have to worry about reverse, or about factory spares availability, though...