The SAOCA Forum  
Old 03-11-2017
Third Gear

Default 1600 crankshaft

I am building an 1600 engine from "quite good parts". I have two crankshafts. One is an EN9 that are inside the tolerances on big-ends and main bearings, the other is an EN19T (from an Rapier I think) but tolerances are on the limit or even 1-2 thousands of a millimetre outside. As I am not going to regrind anything for this engine. I think I go for the EN9. (I think it came from this engine in the first place). Opinions that this is unwise?
Old 03-11-2017
Overdrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grumpy View Post
I am building an 1600 engine from "quite good parts". I have two crankshafts. One is an EN9 that are inside the tolerances on big-ends and main bearings, the other is an EN19T (from an Rapier I think) but tolerances are on the limit or even 1-2 thousands of a millimetre outside. As I am not going to regrind anything for this engine. I think I go for the EN9. (I think it came from this engine in the first place). Opinions that this is unwise?
I can't remember which part number the series ii crank was.. but the sii alpine got the forged crank after the concerns they had on the series i. By s3 they went back to cast as they realised it was over engineered... So if you have a forged sii alpine crank.. id use it
Old 03-11-2017
Overdrive!

Pretty sure both those markings are material specs as opposed to a part number.

Good news if thats the case, the crank is at least steel.
Early iron head cranks were iron.