The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Non Alpine Related Topics > Rootes Vehicles
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default What parts are usefull?

A guy gave me an engine and trans from a "Barracuda Alpine". Supposedly running when removed, but that was many years ago. I'm pretty sure the block is a basic 1725. The front (cover, mounts etc) are not right. Is the head alloy? The intake is a single (broken Stromberg). Exhaust doesn't look familiar.

I imagine it has an all-syncro trans. Will it bolt up or are there length issues. Are any internal parts usefull if the box is wrong. Can I use parts from this trans and an OD early series to make an all-syncro OD box?

Free stuff is so great, one wants to use it.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2016
Overdrive!

It sounds like an iron head motor if it's at a single Stromberg carb. The basic bottom end is useful but the mounts, timing cover and head/ cam are not what you want.

If you the bell housing and arm the gearbox can be used.. as for switching parts into an early box.. depends which parts....
Old 08-05-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default parts

The gear box will not fit a series alpine due to a longer input shaft. the bell housing also will not work since it is deeper to fit in the later body. the single carb was used on the cast iron head engine. the block is usable in an alpine but not the cam. everything else including the starter won't work on a series alpine.
Old 08-05-2016
Platinum Level Sponsor

The oil pan, if it is there, should be aluminum and they have some value - although not the $600-1000 that several eBay sellers have been trying to get. More like $150-250. If you pull it off the engine, be sure to save the long bolts in the back. They are impossible to find.

The only other unique part on the later engines I know of is the oil thrower that sits on the end of the crankshaft, just inside of the timing cover. The were deeper on the fastback Alpines to minimize oil leaks around the crankshaft damper.
1965 SIV BW35, a future V6 conversion
1963 S3, future TBD
Old 08-05-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Default usefull

The cast iron head engine did not use the aluminum oil pan. they had a stamped steel pan.
Old 08-05-2016
Platinum Level Sponsor

I stand corrected.
1965 SIV BW35, a future V6 conversion
1963 S3, future TBD
Old 08-06-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Hillman,

Since the engine was given to you, I will guess the sump is not alloy. It might still be alloy. I once picked up an Arrow wagon with iron head and alloy sump because of a cracked block( common on later 1725 blocks ). I thought there might be more parts usable for my purposes than I found.

"Even if the majority agrees on an idiotic idea, it is still an idiotic idea." Sam Levenson

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." Robert Heinlein
Old 08-07-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

No, the sump is stamped steel. I guess I have a block (minus cam) that may be usefull.\

Thanks all.

Last edited by Hillman : 08-07-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
No, the sump is stamped steel. I guess I have a block (minus cam) that may be usefull.\

Thanks all.

Depends on if you want it for an Alpine or to use in a vehicle that originally used an iron head. If you were to install the front motor mount plate and earlier in/ex manifolds, the engine should be functional (might need a few tweaks) in an Audax body.

How's that off-brand engine working out for you in your Hillman?

"Even if the majority agrees on an idiotic idea, it is still an idiotic idea." Sam Levenson

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." Robert Heinlein
Old 08-23-2016
Gold Level Sponsor

If you mean the Alpine into Minx, it hasn't been my car for years. The current owner has managed to remove the Minx engine (I've got to get a few pics of the block with the rod hole). He hasn't got around to trying to fit the Alpine ngine. After all it's only 2 or 3 years.