The SAOCA Forum  

Go Back   The SAOCA Forum > Sunbeam Alpine Forums > Modified Alpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

Default White

It seems very British to have a white top on a dark colored car plus it's high visibility. While not quite the Bluesmobile look it's rather amazing the effect. I have had a white motorcycle faring on a motorcycle. In no other world do any of these A hole Calif. drivers pull to the right when I came up behind.

I have also had 3 cars die an early death when Left turned all non stand out colors, they all said I did not see you.

I have a Commodore blue project car and a Embassy white Tiger can't wait to restore one in black and one in white and go mini Bluesmobile and switch em back and forth. I'll probably get some Black vinyl 65 numbers for the roof.... we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses. Probably would make it to any United and not overheat even Sacramento in June
Old 1 Week Ago
Platinum Level Sponsor

I have a Series II that was originally a code 53 w/ a black top. When I restored it I decided to go w/ white and white top. Still suits me today except I would now prefer a white headliner instead of black.
Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

From the 1960 Series II Rootes Special Accessories brochure, publication ref 63203A: "The shining black finish (of the pictured optional hardtop) blends so well with the body colour."

The 1960 Series II sales brochure publication ref 7249 has four images of the car with an optional hardtop, all black.

As a purchased option, the hardtops for all Alpine (I-V) and Tiger came black only. The GT bodies lacked a soft top frame so the hardtop, as stated earlier, was standard and it came painted the color of the body. As Bob said, there were no SI or SII GTs.

Many of us remember the days where options could be purchased a la carte. One could chose practically any available option and it would be dealer installed tho body color and drive train requests would more likely be ordered directly from the factory. The SII shown in the ad has a hardtop and wire wheels (both were options) so its apparent if a buyer wanted a hardtop to match the car he could get it, likely by having the dealer paint it.

So, if a buyer came into a Sunbeam dealer to purchase a hardtop for his Series I/II he would buy accessory part number 2207886, which only came in black.

Last edited by volvoguys : 1 Week Ago at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

With all due respect (which is a lot)to Mark and Mike P (from previous posts), who I have the utmost respect, my first alpine hardtop, back in the day, which would not have been repainted, was white.
Old 1 Week Ago
Overdrive!

I think its safe to say that all dealer supllied hardtops from si-v would have been black if in stock. A dealer could respray at customer cost.

S3-v GT cars had matching body couloured tops.

However there is evidence that if you ordered the car as opposed to buying stock from.the lot that items like the hardtop could have been delivered body colour, like some alpines in rootes colours that have the vin with matching paint code thats not an alpine colour.

That said the vast majority would be black.
Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond Level Sponsor

For the sake of ending this debate I will disregard the accessory leaflet statement, sales brochure images and parts manual and yield my position.

Apparently factory hardtops were available off the Rootes dealer's shelf in every color available for the Alpine & Tiger.

Okay?
Old 1 Week Ago
Third Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
the debate goes on.
In the spirit of Dan's above post, I think I'll just be quiet. Other than to say the hardtop I used to have and the one I have now are both the same, non car color matching white with black headliner.
Old 1 Week Ago
Overdrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguys View Post
For the sake of ending this debate I will disregard the accessory leaflet statement, sales brochure images and parts manual and yield my position.

Apparently factory hardtops were available off the Rootes dealer's shelf in every color available for the Alpine & Tiger.

Okay?
Mark.. As stated... And as supported by your documentation At a dealer black ( unless they painted over it)

On GT or by special order from factory body colour.